Iż-Żejtun, is the largest city in the south-eastern district of Malta, with a population of 11,521 in March 2013. The city had an estimated population of 11,410 in 2005. Żejtun holds the title of Cittΰ Beland, which was bestowed by the grandmaster of the Order of the Knights of Malta, Ferdinand von Hompesch zu Bolheim, in 1797.
Żejtun's elder cores, Bisqallin and Ħal Bisbut, largely retain their narrow medieval streets and ancient boundaries. Since at least the 19th century, the name Żejtun has also referred to the larger city which developed around these two core villages. Together with a number of small hamlets in the vicinity, the bulk of this conurbation forms the city of Żejtun, administered by the mayor and the Żejtun Local Council. The city experienced extensive urbanisation over the seventies and eighties, with the completion of numerous infrastructural and urban projects designed to relieve housing congestion in the neighbouring Cottonera area.
Żejtun is a major city on the islands, giving a significant contribution to the islands' history, arts and commerce. One of the country's principal industrial estates, Bulebel, can be found on the city's borders. Żejtun contains a number of important heritage sites, such as St Catherine's Parish Church, St Gregory's Church, numerous votive chapels, and the remains of a Roman villa. The parish of Żejtun is one of the oldest on the islands, and existed already in 1436. The original parish church was built in the twelfth century, and rebuilt in 1492. The incumbent mayor is Joseph Attard. The archpriest is Fr Nicholas Pace. (Wiki)